AnalysisActionAdventureCrimeEnglishMoviesNetflixExtraction

A hardened mercenary's (unconvincing) mission with twists and turns as he tries to rescue a drug lord's kidnapped son!
ChiranjivApril 27, 2020410 min
If you loved it, share it !
Length
117 mins
Certificate
A

Summary

A hardened mercenary’s (unconvincing) mission with twists and turns as he tries to rescue a drug lord’s kidnapped son!

Detailed Analysis

I watched the trailer of “Extraction” a month ago to be streamed on Netflix, and was pretty much excited for the Rambo Kinda action trailer with a stellar star cast – Chris Hemsworth, Randeep Hooda, Golshifteh Farahani, Priyanshu Painyuli, Pankaj Tripathi. It is directed by the American Stuntman Sam Hargrave who earlier worked with Russo Brothers in Captain America & Avengers Endgame. This is the debut film for him as a director. Finally, it launched on Netflix USA platform (Few hours late when compared to Netflix India Platform). After watching the film, I felt that it was not up to all the excitement it has built up 

“Extraction”, is the plot of rescuing a Kidnapped Son of India’s Biggest Drug Lord (Pankaj Tripathi) from Dhaka, Bangladesh. Who kidnaps him? – Dhaka’s Drug Lord. So, it is India’s Pablo Escobar Vs Dhaka’s Pablo Escobar. For this rescuing operation, India’s drug Lord hires Chris Hemsworth & Golshifteh’s team to do an extraction operation in Dhaka. Till this part. the plot is Okay & Straight forward. The unconvincing part starts when Randeep Hooda (who works with India’s Drug Lord) will also come to save the Kid and parallelly kills Chris’s team members. In the beginning, Randeep Hooda tells his wife that all the assets of India’s Biggest Drug Lord (Pankaj Tripathi) are frozen because he is in jail for some unknown reason. He also tells that he has a plan for this rescuing operation. Plan? Seriously? Already hired a mercenary team to save the kid and parallelly going to the city killing the hired people and trying to save the kid? Is that the plan? First, India’s so-called biggest drug lord who has no money has been demanded money by Dhaka’s Drug lord itself is unconvincing to me. So, the drug lord whose kid is kidnapped must pay money to the kidnapper who is so influential that he controls the entire Dhaka police but, has not done a good homework. He did not even check as to how the kid’s father is going to pay him – A very weak part of the plot and the saga continues.

Pankaj Tripathi’s and Randeep Hooda’s characters are not at all convincing and among all these characters, poor Chris’s character, I felt like they made fool of him. When he was trying to save kid even though he knew that he is not getting money, he was attacked by Dhaka’s drug lord team and parallelly by Randeep Hooda. It is like they are outplaying Chris just by bringing him from somewhere in Australia to do a rescue operation in Dhaka. Somewhere, all these parts seem so artificial. Russo brothers who wrote the story for Captain America, Avengers Endgame, have written for this film??

The only savior is that ‘Action episodes’ are top-notch. Decent production values by Netflix, 80% of the film was shot in Dhaka, the rest of 20% in Mumbai & Thailand, and is multilingual. The major part in English, some episodes in Hindi & Bengali. The way they show Dhaka city lockdown, how the entire police help Dhaka’s drug lord to get back the Kid from Chris is worth a watch. I felt the Dhaka backdrop is like Mexico or some part of Africa, how even the small kids between 10-16 years ago are so influenced and work under the drug lords – the few saving graces in the film.

With Narcos, Narcos Mexico & El Chapo tv-series getting good reviews on Netflix, it seems almost every filmmaker is trying to write stories that have drugs backdrop or having a drug lord character as the main backdrop. Had it been an interesting story with some logic in place, this would have been a great action film. Chris Hems worth’s Praiseworthy performance may go unnoticed because of the unconvincing bits in the film. Overall, an unconvincing action film.

If you loved it, share it !

Related Posts

CinemaBandi

CinemaBandi

May 19, 2021
7 min 4
Wild Dog

Wild Dog

April 16, 2021
12 min 12
Paava Kadhaigal

Paava Kadhaigal

December 21, 2020
10 min 32
If you loved it, share it !